Sunday, October 07, 2012

Mi Casa Su Casa "Supper Club", Woollahra

Forget Woollahra's fancy Chiswick, Bistro Moncur and Claude's. I think the best meal you're going to get in this suburb is at fellow food blogger SarahKate's in-home Supper Club. SarahKate writes the blog Mi Casa Su Casa and is an ex-pat "Southern Belle" who lives in Sydney with her husband Andy (he's a southern belle too). Twice a month they open their home to anyone who's interested in an amazing feast of good old home-style Southern American cooking.



Let me just start telling y'all that the meal was AMAZING - totally fabulously delicious! I don't have enough adjectives in my vocabulary to express what a fantastic time The Boy + I had last night. This girl knows how to cook, and I mean REALLY cook! We also received such great, warm hospitality and felt so welcome in SarahKate and Andy's home. I'm already booked in to go back for another Supper Club meal in a few weeks.


The night starts off with some nibbles. There is a HUGE plate of very tempting old-fashioned Deviled Eggs - a nice throwback to my childhood in the 70s. These were delicious, the yolk was so flavoursome + creamy. I confess to eating 2 eggs all to myself.  We were also treated to some homemade dill pickled carrots (YUM - I'd like the recipe for these...oh, and the deviled eggs too while we're at it) and some naughty but nice spiked sweet tea with mint and rum (may as well ask for the recipe for that whilst I am it).


I LOVED the entree - Jethel's baked trout with fennel seed and bacon potato salad. Jethel is Andy's late grandmother and as SarahKate explains the dish you can see how much of an impact Jethel has had on her approach to home cooking. Andy tells us that as a child he used to catch trout in the creek behind Jethel's house and his grandmother would then cook this dish for them. This is more than just a plate of food - it's a wonderful dish that has a history and a story, and it feels really special to be able to eat it. I felt quite touched...and perhaps a little teary (or perhaps that is the effects of too much spice tea)?




I confess to being more than a little excited about the side dishes accompanying the main course. Mention biscuits and gravy to this food lover and you have me clapping my hands and squealing with delight! It is my humble opinion that biscuits (like a savoury scone) and gravy is one of the best things to come out of the USA (almost better than Sex and the City)!  Other sides for the night included (the new to me) "chow chow" which is a colourful, slightly spicy relish and also some super fresh braised asparagus.


The main dish is something I've always been curious about - Chicken fried steak. Turns out it is not chicken fried like a steak (not sure how that would actually work, but go with it OK) but a thin piece of steak that is crumbed in the same manner that American fried chicken is crumbed - lots of coatings of egg wash + breadcrumbs. It reminds a little of the a veal schnitzel my Hungarian mother used to make - a really thick, crumbly crumb that encases a tender piece of beef.


Ah dessert! Who can resist the sweetly named Strawberry shortcake? Not me that's for sure.  This dessert was INCREDIBLE - a cream cheese pound cake with strawberries roasted with black pepper and balsamic. All topped with a very generous dollop of vanilla whipped cream. The cake was both light and dense at the same time if that is even possible - I've not had anything like it before...but I sure hope I get to have it again.


There's no cost to attend a Mi Casa-Su Casa dinner, however donations are welcome as they help cover the cost of the food.  As a guide the suggested donation for this dinner was $30 (I know, right!)...but we chipped in a bit more as we thought the experience was worth more than $30.

SarahKate and Andy run the Mi Casa Su Casa Supper Club twice a month and 10 seats available at each dinner. Check the Mi Casa Su Casa blog for upcoming dates (the next dinner is 3rd November) and to book email SarahKate on sarahkate@micasa-sucasa.com.au.

Go...and eat!

26 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea, sounds like y'all had a wonderful night! Really looking forward to visiting the supper club next month

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like a fantastic night. I love that SarahKate and Andy have opened up their home and offered something that is hard to find and perfect in Sydney, but also true to themselves. Should try to book myself a spot soon before the rest of Sydney find out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some really interesting food ideas, I love the eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, I'm still thinking about that fabulous food last night. Amazing! From start to finish I not only felt comfortable and well looked after, but I felt like I was part of the family! I really like this concept and can see myself going back to Woollahra's warmest home very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much awesome! I gotta making a booking and experience Woollahara's finest for myself! Excellent Job Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative, loving this new idea and no doubt, will the food taste so home-y!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww... Thanks for the lovely write-up Mel! It was so wonderful to have y'all over. I honestly think the hosts had just as much fun as the guests! Can't wait to see you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea...SarahKate sounds like an amazing cook and host! The table looks so inviting and the food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome stuff! I've never had biscuits, or chicken fried steak, or deviled eggs!

    I'm really, REALLY, really looking forward to dinner there this month :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow that was quick for you to post it up! The food looks amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So generous of them to allow guests into their home! Their cooking looks spectacular and seems like you had a wonderful time (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, what a lovely idea. The trout looks so good and as for that strawberry shortcake - swoooooon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have just booked in for SarahKate & Andy's Thanksgiving dinner. Even more excited now after reading what you guys had. Food with love and a story behind it, what more could you ask for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous experience, dining at someone's house like this.

    Thanks for this post and for the heads up.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, thats so cool, what an amazing couple!

    ReplyDelete
  16. woah that is lots of food for just $30! Food looks so good and I love the "homey" feel of everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worth the wait :-) great story - love your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome idea! I spent two months in Georgia when I travelled around the US and that's what I most remember about people there - amazingly hospitable, always wanting to feed you, and constantly just asking you into their homes - even when they don't know you very well. That food looks amazing. Definitely on my Sydney to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Last time I had chicken fried steak and biscuits was at....get ready... McDonald's in Tupelo Mississippi! This looked so great, so yum and so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing night it was! SarahKate and Andy were the perfect hosts and the food, company and ambience was perfect. I was thinking about it all day the next day! Great to meet you too Mel and awesome write up :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've booked for November, so excited! A big thank you for writing about this, such a fabulous idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea - and all that food looks absolutely scrumptious, especially the chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy and the dessert. Really need to make myself a booking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What the what!? Thanks for posting this - those guys seem like such cool people. And what an awesome concept. Tim is gonna freak out when I tell him about this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What the what!? Thanks for posting this - those guys seem like such cool people. And what an awesome concept. Tim is gonna freak out when I tell him about this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily