Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tony Roma's, Sydney CBD

For weeks and weeks and weeks The Boy and I had been TOTALLY psyched by our upcoming dinner to Tony Roma's.  I'd nabbed another meal deal voucher, this time for all you can eat ribs...for just $14.95 per person. That's half price folks.



So needless to say that when I started to feel queasy on our drive into the city I was totally devastated. Beyond devastated.  I couldn't understand how my stomach could betray me at an all-you-can-eat-rib-moment like the one I was about to embark on. I blame my upset tummy on the handfuls of cold and flu tablets I'd be downing all down in an effort to actually feel rid of my cold for our all-you-can-eat meat extravaganza. Talk about an epic backfire.


There seems to quite a few regulations around Tony Roma's all-you-can-eat Ribs.  Each diner starts with three pork "riblets" and chooses a side of either chips or rice.  Once you have eaten ALL the ribs on your plate you can ask for another riblet...just one mind you. Once you've finish your second riblet you can ask for one more...and so on, and so forth. At least at Tony Roma's you don't get sent to you room with no dessert if you don't eat all your riblets (but they will charge you $2.50 for unfinished riblets when you've chosen their regular $29.90 all-you-can-eat deal).


The Boy opts for a side of chips with his ribs, which leaves me to try the rice. The rice is pretty underwhelming - it came out rather cold (and in such a small dish) so I ask them to re-heat it for me, but the chips were great. Pipping hot and well seasoned.  I had chip envy.


I made a very good attempt at tackling my first plate of ribs, despite my squiffy tummy.  It took me a while, but in the end I finished everything on my plate, thus I avoided being sent to my room. The ribs were great, marinated in a smokey BBQ sauce and the meat was melt-in-the-mouth tender and falling off the bone. The riblets for the all-you-can-eat deal seem to be from the end of the rack, thus they had lots of crispy, charred bits of meat, and smaller rib pieces than your standard "middle of the rack" variety. Very nice.  

The Boy was on a mission to eat Tony Roma's out of ribs that night and demolished three extra plates of riblets.  I'm pretty sure he was aiming for a fourth plate, but his stomach simple gave up. 


I couldn't stomach the thought of any more meat, but was quite taken by the lush cobs of corn I saw on other tables.  Normally corn is a side-dish option, but tonight it cost me $5.50.  It was worth it though - hot, juicy and totally moreish once I slathered it in butter and salt. I wouldn't mind an all-you-can-eat corn dinner if I'm honest with you - it's one of my all time favourite vegetables.


Tony Roma's is at 3/121-123 Sussex Street,  Sydney. Phone (02) 9299 8500.

17 comments:

  1. Shame about the rice, but melt-in-the-mouth ribs and chips - what else do you need?
    Well corn, apparently :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ribs! Unlimited Ribs! Yum!!! I always wanted to go there. And the corn cobs look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh!!! I always associated Tony Roma's with family-type quasi-gourmet dining, but nice to see that they are good!! Will try next time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad you were not up to the challenge! lucky the boy made up for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All you can eat ribs, can't go wrong! I love corn, too bad it wasn't one of the side dish options!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOD WHERE DO YOU GET THESE DEALS?! I'm so hungry right now :C

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh all you can eat corn would be a dream buffet for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's an ALL YOU CAN EAT ribs joint?! Fo shiz putting this on the list.. and having to take the boy with me! After taking him to Hurricanes and tasting their ribs, he honestly just can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ribbbbbbbbbbbbbbs!!! and how come i wasnt aware of the half price voucher?! i thought i already subscribed to all group buys *weeps*!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bad timing for tummy issues. At least it was a pretty good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Riblet... I take is a small serve of ribs? Or ribs from a piglet...? :)
    I went to Tony Roma's year ago - didn't love nor hate it really...

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww tony romas is where i met my bf.

    im not to fond of their ribs tbh. i like hurricanes more XD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww thats a bit of a shame. I guess it saves on wastage but it'd make me feel bad having it ask for it each time. They should do a help yourself section of meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a shame your tum decided to not play nice on an all you can eat rib dins. I have only had Tony Aromas in the States, and we had the most fattening onion loaf as a starter before our ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's nice blog and look wise so good ...........
    Wedding Rings Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband would be right there with you for a corn buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. half price all you can eat riblets, awesome next time on let every one know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily