Monday, July 22, 2013

Balcony Garden: Harvest Monday #33

I don't really have too much happening on my balcony at the moment. I've not planted a lot of the "crops" I'd planned to experiment with over winter (like potatoes + garlic) as The Boy + I are heading away for a month soon (insert *happy dance* here) and I didn't want to leave plants growing on the balcony with noone home to look after them.

That said I have planted a few winter things like carrots, beetroot, beans, peas + bok choi (that sounds like a lot, but for me it's nothing) that I can use before we head away.  Mostly though I am just making use of the herbs I have growing, like my chives.


I think this is the last meal I got out of my chives before the attack of the dreaded black aphids happened.  Such a shame that my chives have basically been eaten alive (not by me, by the aphids) as I love the mild garlic note they add to meals.  Towards the end of their life these chives really looked...disgusting, there's just no other word for it. That black stuff on the chives isn't dirt by the way, it's a SWARM of black aphids *shudder*.


I bought these Dry Porcini Mushrooms from the Adelaide Central Markets last November and they've just sat in the dark recesses of my cupboard until recently.  If I'm telling the truth I was just a bit intimated by them.  I'm not sure what was stopping me from using these little guys -- maybe the thought of food expanding like a sponge when I added water freaked me out? Once rehydrated these guys had quite a pungent, earthy smell that I really liked...and I liked that the soaking water can be used in the cooking too. It adds a real depth of flavour. 


I've always loved risotto but I CANNOT cook it.  My risotto making just ends up with me adding 57 liters of stock and STILL having crunchy rice. WHY? All the stirring of the stock and the rice also really kills my arm.  Risotto is NOT my friend. In fact cooking it makes me quite cross.  So a few weeks ago I abandoned altogether trying to make stove-top risotto as I fail at it every time.



The thing is I still want to eat risotto.  So, I've found a good oven baked version of risotto that I usually make with chicken but this time I wanted something vegetarian - enter the mushrooms.  It's SO simple - you literally chuck everything into an ovenproof dish and bung it in the oven. That's my kinda cooking!  The rice was just a smidgen gluggy (why is that people), but topped with my freshly grown chives it tasted…not too bad.


You can view more Harvest Monday posts on Daphne's Dandelions blog. 

12 comments:

  1. Where are you off to on holidays? A month away! How exciting!!

    I grow garlic chives too and I find the taste almost a tad overpowering. I can't believe how pungent they are. Sometimes when I'm out on the veranda I can smell them from quite a distance away. Intense!

    Like you, I love risotto but suck at making it. Your baked version looks delish! I've decided that I'm going to make it tomorrow!

    If you're ok with tuna, then this baked one is good too. http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/25/baked-tuna-risotto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neen, thanks for the recipe....looks good! I've not thought about putting Tuna in risotto before.

      I love the smell of garlic chives, it's basil that makes me feel ill. It's so overpowering and gives me a headache. Boo basil! BOO!

      Delete
  2. oh your chives look like mine :( attack of the bloody aphids. Enjoy your month long break! I'm hugely jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So gross...I'm really cross at those darn aphids!

      Delete
  3. Risotto is a tricky beast! A chef friend told me you shouldn't really need to stir it constantly (some say this increases the starch and makes it gluggy) but you will need to keep an eye on it. And make sure your stock is kept hot by keeping it heated over a flame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should just go out and eat risotto! That's the simpliest method surely?

      Delete
  4. My garden suffers from the attack of the over-exuberant doggies. My dogs have eaten a lemon tree, chilli plants, lemongrass, strawberries and basil, and probably more that I can't remember. Silly punks. There's a few how-to risotto videos on youtube if you're in need of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ate a chilli plant and a lemon tree! Whoa!

      Delete
  5. Porcinis rule! The secret for making a good proper (i.e. stove-top) risotto is patience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Risotto is not really my friend either Mel. The oven version is easier I think but still takes some mastering. You must be getting so excited about your holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily