Things went MUCH better this year...apart from a few aphids who attached themselves to the leaves everything pretty much went according to plan.
Whilst not all the beetroots grew to full size...or grew at all I did end up with enough fully grown beetroots for TWO whole meals. TWO MEALS! That is very much a rarity on my balcony garden.
I decided to roast the beetroot along with some of the rosemary from my garden. I had no enough if the flavours would go together but you never know unless you try. I added in some store bought sweet potato. In hindsight I suppose I could've used a few carrots from the garden but that didn't actually occur to me until right now. D'oh.
I decided to toss the veggies in some oil olive (that's a given, right) and some yummy caramelized balsamic that I was given somewhere along the line. I've seen other people roast their beetroots whole and then peel, slice + dice. I think that's probably easier than what I did.
And there have it - a roast beetroot salad with homegrown rosemary and a few store bought bits and pieces (ok, 90% store bought -- but that's just ignore that bit). If only I had a goat on the balcony so I could make my own goat's milk feta!
You can view more Harvest Monday posts on Daphne's Dandelions blog.