Saturday, March 08, 2014

Three Williams, Redfern

It's hard to keep up with all the new cafe openings in Sydney, especially in the inner-city. One of the newer kids on the block is Three Williams on Elizabeth Street in Redfern.  Too far for me to visit during a work lunch break so I tag along with a blogging friend one weekend for a quick brunch.


The cafe space is large, and I mean L-A-R-G-E, but even so it fills up fast. The room is all concrete, brick and wood paneling but despite their being no soft-surfaces I didn't find it too loud (and I'm an old grump when it comes to "too loud" restaurants and cafes). The music was quite mellow which, for me, added a nice vibe to the general hub-bub of the place.


There's a large chalk board at the back of the cafe making this a popular place for families with younger kids - the folks can eat and the kids can draw. The large space works really well for pram parking too - which is rare in most inner-city cafes. There's so much space I think I could've laid down in the middle of the floor and had a nap and not been in anybody's way.


Just for something different I decide to order an iced-coffee ($5.00..and yes, that's sarcasm). I like the addition of a coffee ice-cube as it keeps the coffee flavour happening throughout the whole drink. I do find the size a bit too large for me however -- but that may be more around my issues with "too much milk makes me frothy".


Tara ordered a really lovely peach and vanilla soda. I had a sip (or two) and it was super refreshing and would be perfect for a hot day.


Even though Three Williams hasn't been open all that long the legend of their super crunchy fries is already, well...legendary. These beer-battered fries ($6.00) are GOOD! Super crunchy on the outside and soft like a pillow on the inside. And yes, we're eating fries for breakfast. So what?


The beef brisket narnie ($14) is also gaining quite a reputation for itself (as is the vegetarian Tempe narnie). A house-made naan bread is piled high with glazed beef brisket, coleslaw, pickles and dill. I'm told by our waitress that the best way to eat this is with your hands, which looks impossible at first, but it's total doable with persistence (and a napkin on your lap). It's messy - but it's definitely the best way to get all of the flavours in one mouthful - fatty beef, crunch coleslaw and zingy gherkin. I resorted to a knife + fork at the end and it wasn't the best way to combine all the elements.


Tara opts for a simple breakfast of spicy smashed beans with avocado served on char-grilled toast ($13.00). There seems to be a few vegetarian options on the menu which is nice to see.


Be careful of these amazing looking donughts as you make your way up to the cash register! It took ALL my willpower to avoid getting one (or two). Maybe next time...


Three Williams is at 613a Elizabeth Street, Redfern.  

Three Williams on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

  1. Ooh la la! LOVE the look of the enormous space, the branding is fantastic (how nerdy, but I adore the logo they've created on the front of their door!) and what *doesn't* look superb about either of those breakfasts?! Y-u-m!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherrie @ Crystal NoirMarch 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

    I would have such a hard time resisting those donuts too! The glaze is much too enticing for my liking :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Mel...oh I hear you so loudly on the iced coffee issue, why oh why do they have to be so big? The coffee ice cube idea is good, I might try that at home. Did the drink have a 'shot' of coffee in it as well as the coffee cubes I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. only tried the beef narnie and the croquettes so far. crunchy beer battered fries sound so delicious no matter how unhealthy it really is

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people have been raving about Three Williams, and I still haven't been there! Soon...if only for those amazing looking doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane, the iced-coffee was made in the regular way - shot of espresso with milk and regular ice-cubes, and then the espresso ice-cube in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. woahhh how did you resist the donuts!? i want them allllllll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie @ TeaThymesMarch 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

    The iced coffee cubes are an interesting touch actually! I'd like to try that for home. And those donuts are so freaking tempting I had to walk away as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the chips here are sosoooo good! hehe i walked away from the donuts as well, took a lot of willpower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara (Belly Rumbles)March 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM

    Would of had to have had a doughnut, they look very impressive. Didn't see them when I visited :( Ahh well, next time will keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm again soon...fingers crossed someone will split the doughnut with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going back SOON for more chips...and maybe a doughnut...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The ice-cube is a GREAT idea as it stops the coffee become diluted when all the regular ice cubes melt. Smart cookies they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily