Monday, May 13, 2013

Balcony Garden: Harvest Monday #24

Whilst out stalking my balcony garden recently I noticed a bit of a "situation" on one of the tomato plants. All seemed well from a distance - a nice mix of still green, ripening and ripe tomatoes all happily buzzing along. And then I lent closer and saw...OMG! Someone had munched through one of my tomatoes - drilling a hole in the top with their evil little fangs and then eating their way through the fruit and then out the bottom.



I did what any sane gardener would do! I bellowed for The Boy to bring me a bowl toot sweet and I picked every single ripe or near ripe tomato on the bushes and brought them inside to the safety of my kitchen...where I was going to eat them.


Of course woman cannot live on tomatoes alone...so I added some rocket and chives from the balcony and topped it up with some store bought cucumber and capsicum.


Viola! Salad!


And watching all this caterpillar induced hysteria is Tabby - one of furry house guests whom we had been minding (along with her two siblings) for Cat Protection Society.  We couldn't get within a foot of her whilst she stayed here but she would happily watch all the crazing goings-on on the balcony from the safety of her window seat.


You can view more Harvest Monday posts on Daphne's Dandelions blog.

15 comments:

  1. Your Tabby is so adorable, bless her little white socks. The chives look nice and healthy, too. I must start a pot of them, I spend a fortune buying the things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very cute...the fluffiest when we'd actually be allowed to pat her.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain - our out-of-control tom bush had some ghastly visitor do their best to bite through every single tom. Bastard bugs. I need to grow chives - love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like my tomato growing experience has been book-eneded by nasty caterpillars!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you have plenty of tomatoes. Good on you for rescuing them for yourself. Your chives look very good. I seem to have a lot of trouble growing chives xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did well this year - better than my false start would've lead me to believe. Chives haven't been too bad for me...so far!

      Delete
  4. I wish my chives looked half as good as yours! They're giving me a vibe that reads "barely surviving" :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of water & fertilizer would do the trick I'd say.

      Delete
  5. tabby is beautiful! and lovely garden post, i need to regrow all my stuff when spring comes, seriously considering growing it into the ground so it grows better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a yard? Girl - what are you doing growing in pots then?

      Delete
  6. Oh that is a cute kitty, with that red nose. I hope she found a good home. Still only dreaming about tomatoes here, they aren't even in the ground yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tabby was very cute. She has two sisters hiding in the room there somewhere. Cannot wait to see how you go with your tomatoes - better than me I hope.

      Delete
  7. DAT TOMATO! I love your little balcony garden harvest posts, it's so important to reclaim as much little provincial life as we can in the ~big smoke~ imo :) your chives look so lush and healthy. Do want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alana! The posts are fun to write...the growing can be a bit stressful at times, but it's all good fun (lucky we have a Coles around the corner is all I keep thinking)!

      Delete
  8. Shame about the half eaten tomatoes. I laughed at your post because I'm too often picking half ripe strawberries and tomatoes too, scared that the birds or bugs will get to enjoy them before I do, and it goes without saying, half done strawberries aren’t anywhere near as nice as ripe ones!

    PS: please edit this part out: I read your posts every single day and love them. I can't seem to leave a comment though if I'm reading from home. I think my computer is stuffed but I just wanted to let you know, I always go to leave a comment, and press submit but somehow it disapears and does't get published. Anyhoo, I'm *sneakily* sending this from my work computer hoping you get to recieve it xx Love your site!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily