Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Temasek, Parramatta

Located down an unassuming, and well-hidden, little arcade in Parramatta is the new love of my life, Temasek.


Temasek is located in a tiny arcade (that leads through to a public carpark) next to the fabulous art-deco, and completely over-the-top Roxy building (the sight of a former movie cinema, now a night club).


If you didn't know this fabulous Malaysia/Singaporean restaurant was here you'd walk straight past it. Which is what The Boy and I had been doing for the first three months after we moved to Parramatta.  After about three months someone mentioned this place to me and I've been hearing great things about it ever since. On the weekend I thought it was high time The Boy and I went to check it out.


When we arrived at Temasek the place was absolutely heaving with people.  The restaurant spans two large rooms on either side the arcade and staff race back and forth across the narrow passageway delivering meals to the hungry masses.  I was starting to worry that, as we hadn't booked, we wouldn't be able to get a table. Our waitress tells us if we can eat our meal within an hour and be gone before 8pm she can seat us. Can we ever - she obviously doesn't know who she's dealing with.

As we under a time-crunch we decide to just order what we know and love, and leave the exploration of the menu til our next visit (oh, yes there will be a next visit asap)!

I already know what I'm having.  My all time favourite Malaysia meal is Beef Rendang ($18.80), and I order this along with two pieces of Roti Bread which are perfect for mopping up the rich, flavoursome sauce. Temasek's Beef Rendang is beautiful.  The generous chunks of beef are melt-in-your mouth tender, and the sauce has just enough of a chilli-kick to have us reaching for our glasses of water.


The Boy has a soft spot for Nasi Goreng ($14.80) an Indonesian fried rice dish that comes peppered with prawns, chicken pieces and sliced shallots. The rice is a rich, dark brown colour from the ABC Sauce - a thick, sweet soy sauce that is rich and sweet in flavour.  Our Nasi Goreng is topped with a fried egg, whose yolk is still soft when we break through it with out fork.


I also wanted to try something I've never had before so order myself a Chendol Drink ($4.50). Chendol refers to the green, grass-like jelly in the drink, which is made with rice flour and coloured green with pandan.  The Chendol is then mixed with palm sugar, coconut milk, red beans and shaved ice.  I loved this drink as it was sweet and refreshing, but next time I'm going to pass on the red beans as the flavour was a bit too savoury, and the texture too "mushy" for me.


Chendol is actually a Malaysian dessert (well, it's listed under desserts on the Temasek menu at any rate), but I found that it was great to drink throughout the meal as the ice and coconut milk are the perfect antidote to the spiciness of the food.  Eating the soft, wiggly-worms is also quite fun!


It's funny how food can bring strangers together. The table next to us had an interesting looking green bean dish (I'm sure by now you all know of my love for green beans). When I asked them what the dish was they offered The Boy and I a taste AND insisted I take a photo of the beans.  A table by the door asked us if this was our first visit, when I said that it was, they ran off a string of dishes that we MUST come back to try. These two random encounters brought a big smile to my foodie face.

Temasek is in the Roxy Arcade, 71 George Street, Parramatta. I'd suggest booking a table, especially if you have a group of more than two people. Their phone number is 9633 9926.

Temasek on Urbanspoon

23 comments:

  1. nawww much love to strangers happy to share their food ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the curry puffs here. I once tried to share some food with strangers as they asked about one of our dishes, but they gave me strange looks, lol. Glad you were game :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I love that you call it ABC sauce - that is what we call it here too!!

    Thanks for sharing your secret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put a fried egg on any type of rice and I'm sold! But the nasi goreng itself looks so mouthwateringly good... Now I'm craving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say my dear that I LIVE on your blog... I love it (and im fussy)

    Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy looking classics. Don't know why but the name sounds Eastern European to me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how nice is that meeting friendly strangers :) i've been to temasek too, it was a good experience but i went for a work lunch and think i would enjoy it more not being so rushed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when Roxy used to be a cinema! Replete with red, vinyl fold-down seats...

    Glad you've finally discovered Temasek. Hooray for strangers who shared their food with you, and do make sure you try their Hainanese chicken some time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, where's the photo of the beans? I love cendol, and I agree, I prefer to have it as a drink. That way you can double up with a second dessert afterwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Temasek, especially their Hainan chicken rice! You're lucky you live so close to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wondered if Temasek was still good as we used to go there years ago. Shouldn't the roti be more fluffed up to mop the curry sauce coz it looks like it was pressed by a hot iron!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only been there once (cos its oh-so-far-away!), but they do a pretty awesome Hainan Chicken Rice there!

    But sounds like I should try the rendang when I'm there next ! *mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum. Beef rendang is one of my favourites, too, but none has matched to my sister-in-law's beef rendang, so I usually order something else when I'm out. Thanks for the tip for another place to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww I love it when you get advice from regulars. Always the best was to try a menu :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe I still haven't been here. The rendang does look very good indeed. I have to agree, I love getting chendol as a drink to have during the meal instead of just a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wanting to go here for ages, but I am never in the area of parramatta. Need to remember it for when I am there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a really good eatery, and not pretentious at all. The nasi goreng is a fave of mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always weary of little alleyways... =D But I've heard about the queues for this place too and that also puts me off. Maybe one day for lunch on my next day off if I'm in the area =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you finally went to temasek!!! I love this place- its literally a few hundred metres from my office :)
    A singaporean friend of mine took his visiting fam here and they said it was better than anything in their home city!
    Nasi goreng is perfect. Try their laksa sometime & also their char kway teow. Yumyum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to give this place a go!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily