Friday, September 07, 2012

Reuben Hills, Surry Hills

I'm let out of the office once again (twice in one year - WOW), this time for a meeting in Surry Hills. As it so happens the meeting is close, really close, to Reuben Hills so I time things that I can have a sneaky lunch before heading back to the cubicle farm. I'm not just a piggy face you know!


Reuben Hills is a relative newcomer to Surry Hills, but at the rate restaurants open and close in this 'burb it's probably more of an older timer.  The fit out is industrial/warehouse as is all the rage these days - polished floors, exposed brick work...you get the picture.  They are particularly well known for their coffee, roasting their own beans in house as well as hosting public "cupping sessions" each week (cupping always makes me thing of that movie "The Madness of King George" for some reason - does anyone else think that?)


Coffee is not all they are famous for however...their Salted Caramel Milkshake ($6.50) has a stellar reputation all of it's own.  The milkshake is DELICIOUS, but in hindsight it wasn't very smart for someone (ok, me) with dairy "issues" to drink this entire HUGE milkshake.  Let's just say things weren't pretty after lunch. Oh lunch, so what did I eat?  It was pretty hard to go past the Soft Corn Tortillas with Prawns, corn and salsa verde ($16.00).


And...I'm let out of the office again (WHAT - are these people crazy) so I hit up Reuben Hills for another quickie lunch. Initially I was going to order Baleada (a tortilla thingy) with free range eggs, queso fresco + black beans, but the waitress said their pulled pork is free-range so I quickly changed my order.  This is a pretty monster looking wrapy-thing stuffed to overflowing with Pulled Pimenton pork + chimol (aka Salsa {thank God for Wikipedia is all I can say}).  For $13.00 this was a pretty decent feed.


So the thing is you see...these guys aren't just famous for coffee and their Salted Caramel Milkshake. There's something else on the menu that I've heard a lot about...that I really should try. For the blog of course, not for me. For you guys! 

The Doggs Breakfast ($9.00) is the furthermost thing from a dogs breakfast that I've ever seen. This ice-cream sandwich is so neat + tidy...a thin wedge of vanilla ice-cream stuck between two pieces of chocolate cake. Its corners are perfectly neat and the plate is impeccable when it arrives (but a bit of a dog's breakfast when it is sent back to the kitchen when I'm done I have to admit).  There is a more than generous serve of Salted Caramel on the plate that defeats me...it's so rich and...salty. And how cute is that HUGE blue enamel spoon - I felt like a 3 year old eating this - so much fun.


Reuben Hills is at 61 Albion Street, Surry Hills.

Reuben Hills on Urbanspoon

20 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for all things salted caramel, so naturally am still drooling over that milkshake and dessert. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm i just want to lick that scoop of salted caramel

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm salted caramel. I like their salted caramel milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky you work so nearby to all these fabulous places to eat. I wish I worked or lived nearby :( Everything looks so good. I want me some of that salted caramel milkshake -oh yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds so great! I have been waiting & waiting to go here. The earliest I can manage is the last weekend of this month- my friend & I are going to stop by before Festival of Dangerous Ideas. I think I'm more excited about Reuben Hills than the talks!!! (Shhh...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish someone would invent a non-dairy salted caramel milkshake so I could drink gallons of it. Oh well, your pic of it in that metal cup will do for now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want the milkshake but would probably skip that brownie - overload!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like my kind of food. I can't wait to try it out! Thanks for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, when I was in the US on student exchange in 2008, I would buy jars of Dulce de Leche and eat it with a spoon. There are no words for how much I want your dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure what looks more delicious the milkshake or the Doggs Breakfast!? That is a huge piece of caramel...and that spoon! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMMMMMMMMMM! That salted caramel looks DELICIOUS! And if you like ice-cream, you should check out the Cow & Moon in Enmore... BEST GELATO EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sneaky lunch gets a whole-hearted thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been here as well, and am definitely coming back! This place has great service, and yes omg that salted caramel milkshake was heavenly, and I really do want to try that doggs breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm salted caramel!! This is now my work local - need to pay a lunch visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice little cafe that one... the milkshake was ok, not as flavoursome as I thought... like you, I felt rather bloated afterwards. Are the people there happier yet? We found the staff to be terribly serious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that ice cream sandwich does look lovely, especially with the interesting spoon - this is just the time of year to escape from the office - well if Sydney is anything like melbourne there are patches of glorious sunshine that make it a shame to be cooped up in a cubicle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have heard so many good things about Reuben Hills. I seriously want to try the salted caramel milk shake. Glad you got to escape and enjoy a lunch away from the cubicles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments y'all!

    OohLookBel - I'm sure you could ask for a soy milk milkshake - or would that just taste blerghy?

    Lizzy - hipsters are always serious, but I thought everyone was nice enough. It must be draining working somewhere that is so full on all of the time.

    Elise - I've been to Cow & Moon...more times than I care to admit in public.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your work. I have been known to stage work meetings near places i want to eat at - or even in them! And i know what it's like not to get out of the office very often. I haven't got to Reuben Hills yet. Maybe it's time for another coffee meeting ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily