Friday, April 13, 2012

Ragamuffin, Leichhardt

Steamed muffins? Until a recently I had no idea that you could steam a muffin! I know that you can burn them, under cook them or accidentally use salt instead of sugar (I have committed all these baking crimes) - but steaming them is a whole new kettle of fish muffins.

When it comes to a cooking style that's a little out of the ordinary it's best left to experts like Ragamuffin in Leichhardt, a muffin bakery that opened on Norton Street three months ago.  It's doing a roaring trade on Good Friday when we visit, carving a blazing trail through these cupcake centric times.


The crew at Ragamuffin first steam their muffins in individual muffin cases and finish them off by giving them a quick turn in the oven. It will be six minutes from the moment you order to the moment your hot little muffin lands in your hot little hands. Six minutes to heaven really.

The Boy and I leave the ordering in the capable hands of muffin aficionado Karen, who returns to the table bearing what resembles a muffin degustation ($3 each or $12 for six). We momentarily ooh and aah over the delectable looking treats in front of us, but it's not long before we demolish the lot. 

Strawberry Milkshake Muffin and Mixed Berry Muffin

The muffins are still warm and all of them contain a gooey center. The Strawberry Milkshake has a subtle taste resembling its namesake and hides a warm, gooey middle of stewed berries. The Mixed Berry is a classic but I think the steaming process keeps the muffin much more moist than your conventional muffin.  The Raspberry Jam Doughnut Muffin is a HUGE hit with The Boy who channels his inner Homer Simpson with every bite - it tastes EXACTLY like a jam doughnut and if you were given this blind folded you'd be forgiven for not realising you were eating a muffin. And the best for last - Lemon Gelato which has a creamy lemon curd-like center. Really really really nice.

Raspberry Doughnut Muffin and Lemon Gelato Muffin
The Boy and I embrace our inner-child and go crazy for the milkshakes - a Chocolate Brownie Milkshake for The Boy and a Caramel Milkshake for me.  The milkshakes come in respectable "adult-sized" cups, rather than the bucket-sized milkshakes we all remember from our childhood.  This is perfect for me as too much milk is NOT my friend.  The Chocolate Brownie Milkshake is excellent - tasting exactly like a Brownie. 



The grown-up at the table, Karen, orders a coffee which Ragamuffin make on an old-style lever coffee machine.  This is a coffee like no other I've seen, Arancino is an espresso with fresh orange slices, sugar and a pinch of salt. I take one sip and it's enough to keep me awake until at least midnight.


Ragamuffin is at 157 Norton St Leichhardt, Sydney.

Ragamuffin on Urbanspoon

27 comments:

  1. Interesting... Never would've thought to have steam them as well. The flavours sound great; especially raspberry doughnut! The coffee machine looks wicked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavours are really inventive...I've never had anything like them before.

      Delete
  2. I'll bet they're really soft and moist after being steamed. Sounds great! Nothing worse than a dry muffin ;-()

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read about this clever concept, loving the lemon gelato! I would visit just to perve on that amazing coffee machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty sexy looking coffee machine isn't it!

      Delete
  4. Love a good ol' milkshake :) The lemon gelato steamed muffin sounds a little crazy - would love to try it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The milkshakes were fantastic...and not too big which is nice.

      Delete
  5. I can't get past strawberry milkshake muffin. holy cow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds like a cross between a steamed pudding and a muffin? They sound delicious!! Defn going to try...ern...the raspberry number!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raspberry donught was pretty special...I'd happily eat that again (and again).

      Delete
  7. What a funny concept! It makes perfect sense though... steaming would keep the middles super gooey and soft. I love the sound of the lemon muffin. And I REALLY love the sound of a caramel milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea you could steam a muffin - infact if my friend hadn't told me that's what they do I'd still be clueless.

      Delete
  8. A very interesting approach to the humble muffin. Loving the sound of the different varieties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The range that had was great. We 'just' missed on trying the Hot Cross Bun Muffin.

      Delete
  9. Ohh I saw this in smh. I know they're softer but do you prefer these over traditional ones Miss P?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, welll that are not "too" different really - other than they are a bit more moist and the flavours are really different. I'd say that these are better than your stock-standard muffin for sure.

      Delete
  10. Steaming a muffin is really interesting! My mother used to make a steamed cake and they remind me of that. Really light and fluffy and soft :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, perhaps you could get your mum to whip you up some steamed muffins...

      Delete
  11. The steamed muffins seem interesting, the Lemon Gelato one definitely looks like a tiny cheesecake. But I'm not sure I'd like muffins without the crispy edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, the muffins were just SO tasty that I didn't even miss the crispy muffin-top-edges.

      Delete
  12. Steamed muffins? Hmm I imagine they would be a lot more moist/delicate? You couldn't even tell with these muffins as to how they were cooked. They look so pretty anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were much more moist, but actaully held together really well - not too crumby at all.

      Delete
  13. Steam, interesting. Would be very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, my sister in law raves about this place! i will have to go now.... she is fortunate enough to live in walking distance.... unlike us!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily