Monday, January 13, 2014

Balcony Garden: Harvest Monday #53

During the Christmas break I harvested a bunch of my stinky, caterpillar infested basil and made up a jar of pesto (sans caterpillars...of course). Exciting times!


Lately we've really gotten into pizza with a pesto base, rather than a tomato based sauce. It's super tasty, even though it's probably 1000 times the calories, but you only live once so pile on the pesto I say! This pizza had a combination of prawns, Spanish onion, Parmesan cheese and pesto. Super simple and super tasty.


I used most of the remaining pesto for a pasta salad that I took to my various family visits on Christmas Day. I wasn't sure if the pesto actually tasted OK (I find it hard to tell as I find the basil a bit overwhelming...plus I think all my cooking sucks) but I got loads of compliments so win:win! I was even told by a pesto hater that they loved my salad *fist pump*!


Happy garden everyone, Miss Piggy xoxo

7 comments:

  1. I've had some recent basil success - something is eating small holes in it, but not to the extent of caterpillar munching, so that's success in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen (grabyourfork)January 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM

    Surely pesto comes under the "green foods" tick of approval? lol. And organic too! Totally good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using pesto on pizza - great tip. Looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're probably right Helen...though the amount of oil & cheese I put into this pesto isn't going to earn it the heart-tick of approval...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amount of bugs that come to visit even the smallest of gardens is beyond belief. You could have aphids...but you'd also have ants if that was the case.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily