Friday, June 21, 2013

Picnick View, Westmead

Picnick View in Westmead is the kind of quirky cafe that really makes me smile. The food served is pretty much your regular Australian cafe fare but it's the interior of this cafe that really makes it something special.


Every surface of this cafe, which is located opposite busy Westmead Hospital, is crammed with little collections of bric-a-brac. The interior is wall-to-wall kitsch filled with the kind of figurines and collectables that you'd fine at your nana's house.


Things get a bit more retro-chic at the entrance to the cafe with loads of great vintage furniture and collectables. I get talking to the Barista - a young guy - who tells me that the cafe is owned by his family (who also own the Thai restaurant next door) but all the collectables are his. He simply ran out of room for his collections at home so started bringing to work. I LOVE it! It's so much fun - a really lighthearted space with a sense of humour.


They serve Campos coffee here and whilst my beloved Iced Latte isn't on the menu (the do an iced coffee with all the trimings - whipped cream + ice cream for $5.00) the Barista happily makes me an iced latte when he hears me trying to order one from the waitstaff. It's a good coffee, not too strong or bitter for my tastebuds.


In a very rare moment of putting health over my tastebuds I decide to have a simple breakfast and opt for the fruit salad ($6.90). It's such a delicious looking bowl of food and each piece of fruit is perfectly fresh. My fruit salad comes with watermelon, pineapple, apple, rockmelon, kiwi, strawberry and grapes and for $1.50 I could've added yoghurt or ice-cream.


On my next visit I bring The Boy along with me, hoping he'll get as much of a kick out of the quirky decor as I do (he does, I think). Half way during our brunch one of the staff rolls out this little toy car and parks it by our table. Why? I have no idea but it had my grinning like a clown at the sight. Love it!



We kick things off with coffee, as is de rigueur for any weekend. A piccolo latte ($3.50) for me and a big cappuccino ($3.50) for The Boy put us in the brunching mood. Both are very good - my piccolo is a bit strong for my weak caffeine taste buds but half a sugar puts things right. I'm trying to be a bit more mature about my coffee tastes hence the recent transition to "grown-up" coffee (plus it's too cold for iced-coffees at the moment).


The Boy's big breakfast ($14.90) is SO big it comes on a platter. He's pretty happy (especially as the eggs have runny yolks) but points out to me that this is not the biggest breakfast on offer. That honor is reserved for the Massive Breakfast which I think he plans to order next time.


I initially ordered the Ocean Benedict that comes with smoked salmon but someone in the kitchen was feeling as bleary eyed as me so I end up with your regular type of Eggs Benedict with ham ($12.90). I normally don't order ham/bacon when out unless it's free range but I wasn't going to send this back to the kitchen as it most likely would've been thrown out which means that pig died just to end up as landfill. Not cool. The dish was really good - the poached eggs had lovely, runny yolks and the hollandaise sauce was nice and rich with a good balance of butter + vinegar. I walked away happy and cannot wait to come back again...maybe for lunch next time (I've been told the fish burger is good stuff).



Picnick View is at Shop 6, 163-171 Hawkesbury Road, Westmead. They are closed on Sunday's and not open for dinner. Phone them on 9687 7262.

Picnick View on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Love it how they roll the toy car next to you! That big breakfast is MASSIVE..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how cute! They just wheeled it on out and parked it near our table.

      Delete
  2. Never had an ocean benedict. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love that we getting cafes like this out west!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it. It's a lot of fun - this cafe makes me feel happy. They're not trying to be anything...just themselves.

      Delete
  4. You should have said something about the salmon/ham swap. Maybe you ended up with both on your plate :) Kidding aside, it's always good to let them know they've made a mistake even if you don't want your meal changed, so that they are more careful next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did let them know - mainly as the ham dish was cheaper than the salmon dish and I didn't want to be overcharged. They offered to change it for me but I declined for the reasons above.

      Delete
  5. I've always wondered if Westmead had any decent cafes..I presumed it must have because of all the doctors and nurses that would need a caffeine fix - looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like fun Mel, coffee and food look great too! Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how they decorated the cafe. That big breakfast looks yummy! Quite impressed with the servings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a huge big breakfast and very reasonable priced too! I relly like the feel of the place from your photos! It's definitely got the "come sit down and have a coffee" type vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the decor, too gorgeous, warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily