Monday, April 15, 2013

Balcony Garden: Harvest Monday #21

When I was in Grade 6 I lived with my sister for a few months - out in the countryside near Lismore.

Out the front of the house was a HUGE lemongrass bush with really sharp leaves.  I never touched it as the leaves could cut you if you approached it in the wrong way, but my sister used to make us iced lemon grass tea to enjoy during the hot days.  I still remember the taste of that tea and it was good.


A few months ago I decide to grow lemongrass out on my balcony as I loved that tea so much, even though I really had no idea how she made it.  She assured me recently it was pretty simple, but couldn't quite remember what she did as it was a l-o-n-g time ago.


I just followed the same method that I used to make my mint tea which couldn't be simpler.  I grabbed a handful of lemongrass (being careful as the grass is super sharp), popped it into my T2 ice-tea pot, added hot water and viola! Just wait for the tea to cool in the fridge and you have iced lemongrass tea. Just as delicious as I remember it being nearly 30 years ago.


You can view more Harvest Monday posts on Daphne's Dandelions blog.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    Cut your lemongrass back when the weather cools but don't pull it out as it should come back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great way to use up extra lemon grass. my fav way to use lemon grass is definitely to cook pork chops with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an easy, refreshing way to use up excess lemon grass. It is sharp isn't...I have a large lump of it and always approach it with caution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh cool. I also have lemongrass but never tried to make some cold tee or something like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a teen living at home I had aspirations of being a landscape gardener and decided to transform parts of Mum's garden as I wished. I planted a small lemongrass bush that eventually turned into a massive clump. Did I ever cook with it or make tea? Never! I think back then I was more interested in growing the tropical plants rather than using them in cooking. Silly me. And I know how sharp they are, as I got cut so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemongrass rocks. Back home we make the tea by boiling it, I guess it results in a slightly stronger flavour. It's so good in Vietnamese food, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love fresh herbal teas, mum often mixes lemongrass tea with some slices of fresh ginger, adds a bit of punch to it :) Having it iced sounds lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my birthday this week and I'm very excited because my Mum and sister bought me a lemongrass plant, a kaffir lime tree, more rosemary (I use a lot!), an oregano plant, parsley and two chilli plants. I'm well stocked now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's that for organic sustainable refreshment?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember sipping a glass of cold lemongrass tea in thailand on a hot stinky afternoon and it was one of the enjoyable experiences ever. I wonder if lemongrass will grow in Canberra? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds lovely - my neighbours have lemongrass and can't eat it so they have invited me to use it - I keep meaning to and forget except at inappropriate moments when I don't want to look like someone dodgy digging up their garden when they aren't about

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been cut by lemongrass more times than I care to remember. It is great though isn't it - I use mine in curries and soups mainly but now I will have to try to make tea with some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dad grew lemongrass on our blacony garden when I was a kid. I used to get in trouble from ripping off the leaves and scrunching them just to sniff the scent. Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must confess I haven't ever grown or cooked with lemon grass, I just use lemon juice or peel if needed. Sounds like the perfect herb for your balcony.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily