Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fujiya, Sydney CBD

Fujiya is one of the first places The BFF and I frequented when we started going out to dinner together on a weekly basis.  I'd just moved back to Sydney from Broken Hill and I was desperate to eat as much Japanese as my stomach would allow.  We'd go here for weeks in a row and I'd never get sick of the place. Fujiya was the first place where I tried Soft Shell Crab - it was love at first bite and I've been addicted ever since.  It's also located right above Baskin and Robins...doesn't hurt to finish things off with some Peanut Butter Chocolate ice-cream. Does it? No.

It's been YEARS since The BFF visited Fujiya however.  I guess we just got caught up in visiting all the new places...but if you don't revisit the old ones occasionally you'll turn around one day and they'll be gone. 


Each time I've visited Fujiya I've been seated on one of the tiny little booths that surround the edge of the restaurant...the booths are great for two or three people, but boy those wooden benches are hard, even for a well-padded bottom like mine.  The view over bustling George Street takes my mind of my derriere however, and some Green Tea ($3.80) warms us both up quite nicely.


We kick things off with one of our old-time favourites Eel Rice ($12.80) - fried rice studded with meaty pieces of flaked eel. At first it's not as good as we remembered...it tasted kinda grassy (weird I know). We left it for awhile and moved onto the Miso Eggplant ($9.80) and when we revisited the Eel Rice later on it was great - just as I remember it. Very odd indeed.  I ended dropping my brand new camera into the Miso Eggplant, smooshing some of it beyond recognition (the eggplant, not the camera), but it still tasted OK - so no harm done (to the eggplant anyway).  I've tried making Miso Eggplant at home a few times but it's nowhere as good as this - charged eggplant that is melt-in-the mouth soft with just the right amount of Miso giving it a slight saltiness.


The BFF orders a Gyuniku Maki ($6.90) - grilled beef wrapped around pieces of green shallot.  I've had this before and it's GOOD, the seared beef partners really well with the shallot.  I decided on the Grilled Shitake Mushrooms with Shallots ($4.80). WOW - this was FANTASTIC, so fantastic I ordered another serve all to myself. The mushrooms were so meaty, yet tender at the same time and the shallots were cooked through but still firm to the bite. I think the seasoning really set this dish apart - I think it was white pepper with salt, but The BFF swears it's MSG (such a cynic)!


Being a chip fiend I find it hard to go past Renkon Chips at a Japanese restaurant these days. We decided to make it healthy by adding it to a salad ($9.80).  That works right? All of a sudden junk food becomes health food. I love the dressing that they put on Japanese salads - it's tangy, and just a bit sweet.  We also order a Spinach Salad with Sesame Dressing ($5.30) - more healthy food.


Ah, hello Soft Shell Crab Roll ($9.80), my old friend.  Our Soft Shell Crab roll was perfect, wrapped tightly so the rice didn't fall apart as I wrangled it with my non-existent chopstick skills. When you can't use chopsticks a tightly wrapped roll makes all the difference - as does perfectly crispy pieces of Soft Shell Crab.



Fujiya is at 609 George Street, Sydney.  Phone them on 9283 2268.

Fujiya on Urbanspoon

15 comments:

  1. So that's what it's like up there. This has been on my "must try one day" list for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...this all makes me hungry at this time of night. I hope the camera is OK, can I ask what it is? The camera I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe that I have not been to Fujiya yet??? Renkon chips are one of my favs but it has been such a while since I last ordered them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beef/pork maki is my favourite thing to order at a jap restaurant :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw are you from broken hill? i had 'camp' there for a month during highschool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowser, the food looks amazing! I'll have to go check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are seriously making me miss Japan with this post...I wish I had visited this place last time I was in Sydney because the food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Japanese food. How weird about the eel rice! Sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, eel rice sounds great.

    I don't for a moment believe anyone would add MSG to shiitake mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohh i havent been here in ages! i used to go here for a quick japanese feed before i had found wagaya :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pleased that neither the eggplant nor your camera were harmed in the making of this post! Sounds like a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! adding this to my must try list. Why is the city so far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really really really really like how you put the "dined as guests of" line at the start of the post, rather than right at the bottom like fine print, as is the blogger norm. Not only is it uber ethical, but it puts the reader in your shoes right at the start of the post, making it more much immersive and enjoyable. You're one fine swine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Fujiya. It's a good option when in the city, if I'm not at Sushi Train hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Free Blog Template by June Lily